Thursday, May 19, 2016

Threads from Ether: Migration, Multilingualism, Communication.



I grew up in Tharu community of terai, as a son of migrant Kshetriya.  My grandfather moved from hills to plains of terai. Most of my friends from childhood were from Tharu community, I played with them, ate at their houses, joined their ceremonies and they did the same. I hung out them so much that I can understand their language and even speak slightly. I think this is the kind of involvement people from different backgrounds need to have to understand each other and live in harmony. (In Chitawan) Initially migrants from hills were a minority but now are a majority and I see many differences in the way both groups operate but we all have been able to co-exist with accepting the differences of the other.
I am a third year student at Agriculture and Forestry University. Over the course of three years I have made some wonderful friends, whom I consider as my brothers. Last week I had a verbal fight with one of my best friends and I felt horrible afterwards. I said things I shouldn’t have said and I am sure he did the same. It was an emotionally draining experience and made me think and visualize everything about the fight, how it started and why did I/we let it be. Then I visualized the first time we met, the conversations we had at mid night, the pranks we pulled, the travels we did together. All this made me realize the fragility of human relationship. It made me realize the importance of dialogue, the role of effective communication at avoiding, solving conflicts. I guess the importance of dialogue multiplies many times when we consider two people from different culture, religion, country.

When I was in secondary school, Maoist led revolution going on, that lasted for ten years. At that time, NEWS would call these people as terrorists and had put a price on their heads. And Maoist would come into our villages at night at write anti-monarch slogans on the walls and would urge people to rebel against the system. I didn’t knew much back then about the ideologies they were fighting for but what I knew was the number of killings that were taking place from both sides was not right.
After spilling blood for ten years, the revolution ended with 12 point agreement and coalition of Maoist with remaining seven parties. Nothing solidly significant in the lives of poor has been achieved yet and question that comes often in my mind is: Was it justified? Wasn’t there a better way?
Despite its horrendous judgement in few cases and imbalanced power structure, the UN has shown us there is. Its peace keeping mission all over the world has given end to conflicts, they have successfully mediated the conflicting parties and helped them overcome their differences. The role of UN through UNMIN was a praiseworthy one.
One of my brother is in the army and he has been to peace keeping missions in Africa, whenever he shares me his experiences, he starts by uttering a few words of the local language  that he learnt in that country followed by their task, the diversities & complexities of local community. He showed me his photo with a local translator. The troops used to communicate with the local people through the translator and it was his ability to speak multiple language that helped build the relationship and mutual understanding and he accounts the success of the mission was largely dependent on men like him.
I have read a few accounts of US soldiers in middle-east and the help the translators have provided. Amidst such tension, the lives of soldiers are dependent on the translator helping them decode the local language.
One thing I have noticed, anything that is unknown to us, we are afraid of it, we perceive it as enemy. This is very natural, even in our blood we have antibodies that detects and kills/attempts to kill anything foreign. May be if we tried to understand what it is like to be in their position, what they have been through, what could have happened to them that made them the way they are. I realize that one person might not fully understand another person at all but what I think everyone can do is alter the first perception of fear and look at the person from the eyes of acceptance.
Many thousands of Nepali workers migrate to foreign countries in search of jobs. People moving to Japan, Korea have to learn a whole new language just to be able to go there by mortgaging their home, land and work there for 18 hours a day. While this sort of exchange does introduce East-Asian culture among Nepalese diaspora but it doesn’t feel like a two way process. Many end up in Qatar, Saudi Arabia where the working condition is so harsh and the people are treated more as slaves than workers. In many cases they are handicapped, many die. Going there might be their need but this exploitation has to stop.
One cannot shout global citizenship while the cultural imperialism, exploitation of poor prevails. Dreaming a global class struggle for equality for global citizenship does sound a far-fetched but what we can achieve today is increase not only number of educated people but also number of conscious people, consciousness about the self, humanity, co-existence and ability to see through the created illusions and rally around a consensus. I would like to end this by quoting Shashi Tharoor, past undersecretary of UN, “You don’t have to agree all the time, so long as you agree on the ground rules how you are going to disagree.”
I believe this is the long-term solution to our existing conflicts, extremism, terrorism and the day a threshold level of consciousness is reached through multilingual effective communication, dialogue, peace building in our hearts and minds, then you and I will be global citizen in true sense.


No comments:

Post a Comment